Strange bouncey ride

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Strange bouncey ride

Post by Bugman114 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:41 pm

Howdy yall. i notice while idleing in first gear i seem to get a wierd wobbleing feeling, as if one of my wheels were bent, or a wheel bearing was bad. so i jacked it up and spun the wheels, and they all spun straight. then i drove it on the road and had someone check all four wheels at pretty much all speeds, and they couldn't see anything wobbleing. any ideas? it never did this before. cause i always like to check for this, cause i know if a wheel bearing does go, i'd never be able to hear it over my exhaust, lol. Any ideas? anyone know of anything that could cause low speed side to side motion with no wheel wobble? also i notice the wobble gets faster the faster i go, but when i'm going like 30mph or faster, i can't really feel it anymore. any ideas? i know its not normal cause it didn't do it before. thanks
-Mike
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Strange bouncey ride

Post by Clyde on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:56 pm

I've got a messed up Kleber tire on the front of my bug, can feel it go up and down at like 5 mph. Kind of a limp.

How long ago was your last alignment?
Clyde
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-07-23

View user profile http://athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:19 am

I don't know, i'll have to call the PO. i've had the car for 2.5 years Embarassed Laughing . that could be the reason. but it only started doing that about a month ago. and the tires are worn. still has some tread, but the extreme camber in the front wore half of the tire out bad. I'll probrobly take the tires off the rim, and flip them around, so its like i have new tires, lol. Obviously i'll get them balanced. guess i'll have to wait till then.
Bugman114
Dub God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:07 am

The frontend alignment will not cause a car to vibrate, bounce, or wobble. You're probably experiencing a bent wheel or drum, or possibly out of balance wheel/tire assembly, slipped radial belt in your tire, or could even be bad shock absorbers.
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3223
Registration date : 2008-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jshmnghm on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:11 pm

A tire/wheel out of balance will get worse to a point then seem to get better with speed. What happens is the frequency of the wobble increases with the speed of the tire until you cannot feel it anymore. A quick balance job should help unless the tire/wheel is too far gone.
jshmnghm
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 311
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by meinvw on Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:54 am

Might also be the start of the "super shimmies". Supers are notorious for getting the shakes. Usually at higher speeds though. Usually means a front end rebuild.
But you also mentioned your fronts are wearing wrong. Outside on both are worn? Could be the tires fighting against each other, they pull out when you go faster, so might be them trying to lign themselves during the transition from worn to tread. Swap front to back and see if it goes away. If it does align the car and put new tires on. You could run with the unevenly worn ones for awhile but they may cause more damage. At least align the front and throw new meat on there. Buy a depth gauge (or just use one from the shelf every few days at work) and keep an eye on the front wear.
meinvw
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 894
Registration date : 2008-11-22

View user profile http://bellsouthpwp2.net/j/e/jeromeeldreth/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:49 am

gotta love those supers, lol

Well, i know the front has always been way to high for some reason. when you look at the car from the front, the tires have some pretty extreme camber. It looks like someone raised a swingaxle rear end. its pretty bad. i'm not sure if thats related to the problem or not. i don't think so, because the front has always been high like that, and the bouncy problem recently occured. Another thing that happened a while ago, was that the front passenger wheel can pull in and out. I can pull on the top of the wheel and the whle thing puls in and out (as if the spindle nut was too loose). but its not the bearings, the whole strut moves. it seems to pivot from the top of the spindle, and the bottom of the spring. somewhere iin there. i took it to IAS and they checked it out, and told me the there is a bushing or something undrt the spring or something, and its worn out, but its not going to cause the strut to fall apart or anything. So i'm just gonna keep riding on it, till i get my new pan finished, and switch the body. but now this side to side wobble has got me concerned. the wobble happend after i found out about the strut issue.

can a wheel just go out of balance like that? the wieghts are still there from the last balence about 2 years ago. even if the wheels are out of balance, would that cause a side to side wobble at 5-10 MPH? i can even feel the wobble just coasting down my driveway, like at 2-3 mph. like when it goes to the left i can stop and when i let off the brake, it goes to the right.

his Whole mess has got me so confused. Question
Bugman114
Dub God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:30 pm

Is there any rust around where the strut is mounted to the fenderwell? Sometimes they will rust out in the strut towers and thats a PITA to repair. If the strut bushings are shot you will have to pull replacements from another car as they are NLA.
Once I get the bus on the road, I am going to do a total rebuild of my 71's frontend and will post the procedure. I rebuilt the 74 a few years back and its not too hard to do.

D
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:45 pm

no rust there. and i think thats what the bug shop guys told me. Where does that bushing go? is it somewhere between the bottom of the spring, and the spindle? thats where its pivoting. They told me its not going to fall apart or anything.

I'm actually building another pan for it. its an IRS pan, but i'm gonna weld on another frame head, but linkpin, and about 8 inches of tunnel to it, cause its gonna be a rat rod, and have the front suspension out farther. So the struts will be on the classifieds soon, lol. But i'm still a few months from finishing the pan, so i just wanted to find out what ever was causing the wobble, to make sure it won't fall apart on me (atleast not before i finish the pan Laughing )
Bugman114
Dub God

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD on Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:09 pm

The strut bushing will be at the top where the strut goes thru the inner fender. If the flexing is lower, maybe you have something going on with the bottom spring perch. If it is a late style strut, the spindle is attached to the strut via a two bolt flange. It could be getting loose there.

D
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top