something bent

View previous topic View next topic Go down

something bent

Post by kyleb on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:20 pm

Hello,
I have a buggy. on the rear corners, there are Porsche 930 swing arms, Bus trans axle stubs, brake rotor, and a wheel adapter plate.

I just notice something is warped cause the wheel to make a slight wobble. I have not taken it completely apart yet, so Im not sure what to blame.

When towing the buggy, I can see the rear wheels wobble as they role. With it jacked up, wheels off, and hand spinning, I can see the brake rotor and wheel adapter plate spin with a warp. So much that the rotor will rub the brake pads every half turn. While spinning, the inside of the axle stub looks true.

Anyone have this issue? I am wondering it the axel stub while straight on the inside, could bent on the outside causing all of the above to wobble. Or maybe its something else.

Its previous life was a race car on a dirt track. It have 295 wide tires that hang off of it. None of the wheel/tire covers the brake assembly.

kyleb
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2013-05-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: something bent

Post by bakertim2 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:38 pm

It very well could have a bent stub axle. Race cars take a lot of abuse. If you have access to a dial indicator, you could set it up to measure runout at the tip of the axle.
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3224
Registration date : 2008-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kyleb on Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:30 am

Ill be taking it apart in the next couple days to see

kyleb
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kyleb on Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:49 pm

I took everything off of the hub asm.  The axle stub spinning by itself does not look to be bent...at least I cant tell by looking at it.  

Do you think a bad wheel bearing could cause all of this wobble?

I noticed when putting everything back on including the wheel, but left off the brake caliper.  I noticed when spinning every single turn a sound scraping/rubbing would occur.  kind of like the sound of brake pad rubbing against rotor.

kyleb
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top