Jon65's 65

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:01 pm

Murdock00 wrote:Looks good, I saw another beetle up there that looked like your's exactly, but different rims.

Thanks. I think I saw it too, because as I made my rounds around the show, I kept thinking that somebody had moved my car as a prank. Laughing

Was it the one in the swap meet area?

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Murdock00 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:08 pm

I am not sure, I didn't really notice it until on the tack and saw someone else getting into it, and kind of had a WTF moment.

Murdock00
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 53
Location : Thomson, GA
Registration date : 2013-05-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:11 pm

Murdock00 wrote:I am not sure, I didn't really notice it until on the tack and saw someone else getting into it, and kind of had a WTF moment.

Laughing

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:57 pm

I ordered a camber compensator and a center console earlier this week. Always wanted to have a CC because of the safety & handling purposes behind it, and the console for more storage space for drinks and other things while driving. Hopefully they'll be here by this weekend and I can get them installed.

Til' then.cheers

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by DiggerD on Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:17 pm

The camber compensator is a good idea. In normal day to day driving, you will probably never know it is there, but in those rare occasions where it is needed (high speed avoidance maneuvers, etc), it can be the difference between having an accident or just a close call. I run one on my bus for this exact reason. Cool
avatar
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Location : Dacula, GA
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:08 am

DiggerD wrote:The camber compensator is a good idea. In normal day to day driving, you will probably never know it is there, but in those rare occasions where it is needed (high speed avoidance maneuvers, etc), it can be the difference between having an accident or just a close call. I run one on my bus for this exact reason. Cool

Exactly. And for $65 it is totally worth it.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Grifspop on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:05 pm

I noticed a difference right after I put one on- really tightened up the back end on my car
avatar
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Location : Someplace you wouldn't think to look
Registration date : 2009-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Alright, I got my order Tuesday, and I put the console in Thursday. I'm gonna try and get the car down to the shop and up on the lift so I can put the cc on.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by fluxcap on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:14 pm

What kind of console did you get, one of the basket type things or something actually goes from the tunnel to the dash? Post some pics!

_________________
eric

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
avatar
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Location : Newnan, GA
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:12 pm

fluxcap wrote:What kind of console did you get, one of the basket type things or something actually goes from the tunnel to the dash? Post some pics!

It's just one of the basic ABS plastic consoles. Nothing elaborate, but it gives me a place to put drinks and such when I'm driving.

Here's a picture of the cc and console that I put on Instagram.



I was able to get the compensator put in today. I put it up to mount, but I didn't like the little stub of the stud that I had to tighten the nut on so, I found some extra longer length studs and tapped them to the right thread and put them in to give me more length to tighten the nut on. Driving it home, it did feel like it had more control in the turns than it did when I drove it to the shop. I'll get a better feel of it when I take it out driving throughout this week.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by fluxcap on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:53 am

Ah ok, I didn't even think about that type of console. Should come in handy. I've got one of the basket types and love the extra storage space.

_________________
eric

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
avatar
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Location : Newnan, GA
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:54 pm

fluxcap wrote:Ah ok, I didn't even think about that type of console.  Should come in handy.  I've got one of the basket types and love the extra storage space.  

Yeah. When I was driving it yesterday to the shop to put the compensator in, it helped out a lot by just holding the soda I had, instead of just having it roll around on the front seat.Laughing

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by ridikas on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:46 pm

Jbugs has this plug and chug cup holder that fits in the cigarette tray. Here is the link http://www.jbugs.com/product/DH-EARLYBUG.html
I haven't looked other places, but you might find it cheaper elsewhere.
avatar
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Age : 26
Location : Fayetteville, Ga
Registration date : 2013-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:56 pm

ridikas wrote:Jbugs has this plug and chug cup holder that fits in the cigarette tray. Here is the link http://www.jbugs.com/product/DH-EARLYBUG.html
I haven't looked other places, but you might find it cheaper elsewhere.

Yeah, I have seen that one. I actually bought one a couple years ago (and still have it in a box of parts in my closet.) But, I didn't really like it that much because I couldn't open the glovebox with it installed.

Plus, I don't think it would fit now with the cigarette lighter I have installed in the dash.Neutral

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by ridikas on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:01 am

How hard was it to rig a cigarette light in? Is there at kit? I'm tired of using clamps on my battery post?
avatar
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Age : 26
Location : Fayetteville, Ga
Registration date : 2013-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:20 am

ridikas wrote:How hard was it to rig a cigarette light in? Is there at kit? I'm tired of using clamps on my battery post?

For mine, all that I had to buy was the cigarette lighter. Like: http://www.jbugs.com/product/W-1009-IV.html

Then, you have to drill a hole in the dash that fits the lighter, (I chose to put mine to the right of the ashtray) And then wire it to the fuse box and to a ground.

View from dash:


View from the trunk:



Now I believe for your '73, there is a type of lighter that just screws on the the underside of the dash. I can't find it on any parts site, but when I do, I will post the link to show you the type of lighter I am talking about.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by ridikas on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks! I'll get searching
avatar
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Age : 26
Location : Fayetteville, Ga
Registration date : 2013-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Gabass on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:41 am

The only kits they have are 12 volt. Is your car a 12 volt conversion? That lighter looks to simple to run on 6 volts without a transformer and still have enough power to use with something like a car charger or GPS. Does that outlet work good for things like that or should I not bother putting one in my car. Thanks Smile
avatar
Gabass
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 350
Age : 20
Location : Watkinsville, GA
Registration date : 2013-01-17

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/NorthGeorgiaSpeedometer?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:56 am

Gabass wrote:The only kits they have are 12 volt. Is your car a 12 volt conversion? That lighter looks to simple to run on 6 volts without a transformer and still have enough power to use with something like a car charger or GPS. Does that outlet work good for things like that or should I not bother putting one in my car. Thanks Smile

Yes, my car has been converted to 12V and the lighter works perfectly for phone chargers, GPS, and things like that. And, it is pretty straight forward with the installation. The only thing I forgot to mention is that I did put in a inline fuse in the hot wire that goes to the fuse box.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Gabass on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:43 am

Jon65 wrote:
Gabass wrote:The only kits they have are 12 volt. Is your car a 12 volt conversion? That lighter looks to simple to run on 6 volts without a transformer and still have enough power to use with something like a car charger or GPS. Does that outlet work good for things like that or should I not bother putting one in my car. Thanks Smile

Yes, my car has been converted to 12V and the lighter works perfectly for phone chargers, GPS, and things like that. And, it is pretty straight forward with the installation. The only thing I forgot to mention is that I did put in a inline fuse in the hot wire that goes to the fuse box.

Thanks, that helps. Nice bug.
avatar
Gabass
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 350
Age : 20
Location : Watkinsville, GA
Registration date : 2013-01-17

View user profile https://www.facebook.com/NorthGeorgiaSpeedometer?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:48 am

Gabass wrote:
Jon65 wrote:
Gabass wrote:The only kits they have are 12 volt. Is your car a 12 volt conversion? That lighter looks to simple to run on 6 volts without a transformer and still have enough power to use with something like a car charger or GPS. Does that outlet work good for things like that or should I not bother putting one in my car. Thanks Smile

Yes, my car has been converted to 12V and the lighter works perfectly for phone chargers, GPS, and things like that. And, it is pretty straight forward with the installation. The only thing I forgot to mention is that I did put in a inline fuse in the hot wire that goes to the fuse box.

Thanks, that helps. Nice bug.

Glad to help. And thanks.Smile

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:42 pm

Well, today was the first day I drove it to school. It ran great and started right up when I wanted it to, and I also didn't get stuck in traffic on the way there and back. All in all, it was a pretty good day.Cool 

Here's a picture that a friend of mine took of my car parked in the parking lot.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by ping349n on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:16 pm

When I drove mine back in school, I parked it out on its own too. I did it just in case my starter didn't work (which seemed more times than not), so I could push start it! I became a pro at it! Glad to see she is doing well!
avatar
ping349n
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 344
Age : 41
Location : Senoia
Registration date : 2011-09-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Jon65 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:47 pm

Thanks. Yeah, I didn't expect anybody to really be around it much. When I chose my parking spot, I chose one that was the farthest away from the crowd, and closest to the east gate so I can get out real quick on the busy days.

Jon65
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 875
Location : Hampton, GA
Registration date : 2012-11-17

View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/jon65site/

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by ridikas on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 pm

Do you go to Luella high school? I think I saw your bug in the parking lot.
avatar
ridikas
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 377
Age : 26
Location : Fayetteville, Ga
Registration date : 2013-04-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Jon65's 65

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum