The joy of mixed shows.....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The joy of mixed shows.....

Post by DiggerD on Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:16 pm

Yesterday we didn't have much going on. Saw a flyer for a local car show promoting a new pizza place's grand opening, it was just a few miles from the house so we figured why not and went. I don't usually go to mixed shows, but this one was so close. We got there and there were the usual trailer queen corvettes, mustangs, and chargers and a lot of cars that you can still go to he dealer and buy. We got the usual "hippy van" comments and had our ears blasted with doo wop for 4 hours. Best part was when I was registering. It went kinda like this:

Old guy: I need to register my car, but don't know what class it's in.

Registration lady: what kind of car?

Old guy: It's a 2011 Corvette.

Registration lady: oh ok, you are in the Corvette class. What size engine?

Old guy: I don't know.

Me: It's a 6.2 liter.

Old guy: Oh thanks buddy, which One is your Corvette?

Me: Oh I don't have a Corvette, I drive a VW.

Old guy: Blank stare, then walks away.

Some things probably will never change. On the up side tho, I won a nice set of Cocacola drinking glasses as a door prize and got best Import.....

DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The joy of mixed shows.....

Post by shaky on Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:11 pm

Best Import..... HAAAA. Should have brought my sons lowered mazda, could have won something.
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:58 pm

Don't you feel like Rodney Dangerfield? "I can't get no respect".
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3225
Registration date : 2008-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 pm

You should have just told him your bus was on a corvette chassis.

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:43 pm

Remember the Chick-fil-a show last year? There was one Corvette guy that was seriously pi$$ed the we showed up.

Me: Man this car is spotless. You've done a lot of work on it.

Him: Yeah but if I'd have known this was gonna be a f____ing VW show I'd have stayed home!!

Me: You have a good day sir.
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

View user profile http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:28 pm

fluxcap wrote:You should have just told him your bus was on a corvette chassis.

Well, until recently it did have Corvette shocks on the back................ scratch

Also we just received an email from the resturant that they drew our name for some Braves tickets! cheers Must be karma kicking in. Razz
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Laz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 pm

its kinda funny that folks are offended by the fact that our cars are even there. there is one of the guys from around here that has a 49. he goes to most of the local mix shows. he was telling me one of them he went to one guy got do mad he was there that when Malcolm got out of his car the guy went to the reg. tent, came back and got into his car and left mad. come to find out they were in the same class, and the guy had been beaten by that little vw so many times at other shows he decided he was not going to waste the rest of his day to only come up short.
Laz
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2010-10-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:33 am

All this just makes me want to go to more mixed shows. We should just start invading them like roaches.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pharriswheel on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:46 am

At the Warner Robbins Steak n Shake show this year leading into Reynolds the next day, a guy showed up and backed in his AMC, popped the hood and as I befriended him and his "shiny" hotrod, he told me he had forgotten that this was the weekend all these "Bugs" take over THEIR parking lot. He went on to tell me that he works at a car shop down the street (where he said there are only two people at this shop, "the owner, and the Guy who does all the work!") and they don't see many vw's come in because VW owners are cheap and won't pay his prices. I told him he might want to pipe it down considering he had a parking lot of vw owners close by. He told me he didn't care and walked off as I contemplated leaving a present on his shiny, vinyl seat!!!
Pharriswheel
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2010-03-27

View user profile http://www.djatl.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:03 am

Yeah, it is a totally different mind set amoungst the other makes. Lotsa trash talk and demeaning phrases. It just PO's the $30K+ vetts and stangs when a large crowd gathers around an old beat up bug and the kids all scream "Herbie!".
Been there / Done that .
VW folks are just WAY more easy going than the average muscle car / lead sled driver.
I like it that way,
KC
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2185
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:07 am

I feel your pain and a little rant myself.
I for one avoid the Muscle Car shows altogether now. I can find check writing restorers anywhere. I have nearly been turned off by all shows save the VW ones I have went to in the past year. I am a member of an invitation only Porsche club, most early porsche guys desire to be in said club. Starts with R and has Gruppe to finish. I was honored to be asked and was gung ho the first year. We did private drives, private meets, open drives open meets and then it hit me about the 6th meeting/show I went to. All of them wrote checks for everything they have. The guys on the west coast not as much but on this side they all have someone else do their work. I kept hearing about how much this cost and how much that cost and did you hear about the guy who bought those deep sixes for 150 bucks and re sold them for 2k. Smart man, they said. I was thinking what a prick, why not trade or help someone out. So I have not been to an official meeting in a year. My wife even said at YU man this is way more laid back. The first time I showed my Green car at a Porsche meet. A guy walked up and said "your wiper position is off" and that dash is incorrect for a 73. When I told him it was a 80 he was nearly pissed that he could not find more that threw him off of the actual build year since I used all 73 parts to backdate it. No nice car, nice work just Wiper position is off.
Rant over.

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rpm750 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Pharriswheel wrote:At the Warner Robbins Steak n Shake show this year leading into Reynolds the next day, a guy showed up and backed in his AMC, popped the hood and as I befriended him and his "shiny" hotrod, he told me he had forgotten that this was the weekend all these "Bugs" take over THEIR parking lot. He went on to tell me that he works at a car shop down the street (where he said there are only two people at this shop, "the owner, and the Guy who does all the work!") and they don't see many vw's come in because VW owners are cheap and won't pay his prices. I told him he might want to pipe it down considering he had a parking lot of vw owners close by. He told me he didn't care and walked off as I contemplated leaving a present on his shiny, vinyl seat!!!

Alan.....you wouldn't, you couldn't! Cheap b/c the shop thinks the cars are cheap and they don't care, 'It's just a VolkswagOn", it's my freaking car jerk. I'll fix mine myself thank you. Freaking cheap....
rpm750
Dub God

Number of posts : 2258
Registration date : 2008-11-11

View user profile http://forum.georgiadubs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by dlandvw3 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:01 am

Mixed shows are a mixed bag. I'm not a huge fan, mainly because I fail to understand how at every show there's like a 2005 Mustang GT that wins top awards, and it's usually not that nice of a car. I still get amazed when a show doesn't separate classes for old and new cars, then you see a guy who just bought a 2010 Mustang with all kinds of extra options rack up awards and he doesn't even know anything about his own car. Ok, let me rephrase that, any mustang built between say 1980 and 2010 should never win an award unless have had some pretty serious customization done to them, and because they just aren't that nice looking. LOL
dlandvw3
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 479
Registration date : 2008-09-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:39 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:All this just makes me want to go to more mixed shows. We should just start invading them like roaches.
I'd love to see a bunch of Dubs roll into Summit Racing for the Monday Night Cruise-In....every Monday from 6-8:30!! FREEEEE
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Do Work 93YJ on Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 pm

vwtattooed wrote:
bumblebuggy wrote:All this just makes me want to go to more mixed shows. We should just start invading them like roaches.
I'd love to see a bunch of Dubs roll into Summit Racing for the Monday Night Cruise-In....every Monday from 6-8:30!! FREEEEE
I plan on attending once I get mine back on the road.
Do Work 93YJ
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 119
Registration date : 2012-06-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve S on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:47 am

Hi Folks, new to the forum and wanted to mention the 2 "Mixed" shows that I help put on. 9th Annual Flowery Branch Classic Car Show and Chili Cook Off Plus the 5th Annual Bugs at the Branch VW show, 09/08/12 at Flowery Branch GA. Also the 2012 City of Sugar Hill Volkswagen and Classic Car Show 10/20/12. My puropose for jumping on this line was (beyond a little show advertisement) was to get you folks' feed back on what makes a good "mixed" show. The format for my 2 shows has always been to keep the 2 events (VW and Classic competitions) with in each show separate, different trophies, different classes. I have thought this worked well. I also thought the VW and Classic car folks "mixed" well together. That was my assumption because of all the positive feedback I have recieved from both groups over the years
So that said, what can I do to make your experience better at my 2 shows? I would welcome any and all feedback. You can also email me directly at ssoucie1@charter.net

Steve S
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 96
Registration date : 2012-07-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 pm

I've always enjoyed both of these shows in the past.
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve S on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:53 pm

Thanks so much for you response. Again if we can do something different to make it a neater show, just tell me

Steve S
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Last year at the Sugar Hill show this one guy who knew I came in a rusty bus was really cool. We talked for a long time about his Ford GT and he even handed me the keys and let me start it up.
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't consider these mixed shows, rather two shows that happen to be at the same location. Both shows are very good and have great locations, I don't see much you could do to improve either one...
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 pm

DiggerD wrote:I don't consider these mixed shows, rather two shows that happen to be at the same location. Both shows are very good and have great locations, I don't see much you could do to improve either one...
Perhaps that's the secret. As long as the muscle car guys know they aren't gonna lose to "Herbie" and the VW guys who've poured their heart and soul into their cars aren't gonna lose to a stock 2012 Corvette, everybody can relax and enjoy each other's cars.
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Back to top Go down

Post by SavannahVW on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:06 pm

Enjoyed reading these posts and thought I would jump in. I have experienced exactly the same treatment from the "other" car hobbist here in the Savannah area. Once I was even told to take my "Hitler" car home, this is a show for "American" cars! We decided to stick around and my Herbie buddy received the "people's choice" award. We had a good laugh about that. We continue to show-up to their shows due to very little VW activity in our area. There are a couple of fine guys I'm happy to call friends but the rest just don't get it. I haven't taken the Savannah Bus to any of their get togethers yet. I'll let you know how that goes.....
SavannahVW
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2011-07-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vdubbers on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 pm

It is funny how many people come up to my dad and I at shows when we bring the x1/9 and say ," That's a nice looking Fiero'.....
Chris

vdubbers
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-02-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BKiller on Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:16 am

I love listening to the BS at mixed shows. Old muscle car guys have to act like they know and have seen everything.
The most common thing I hear when people walk up to the SP2 is, "I haven't seen one of these in a while". Then they ask what it is.
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve S on Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks Folks for all the resonses. Digger hit in on the head about 2 shows, one location. Keeping each event separate. I have to admit I am smiling at all your stories. That what makes the work we do to put on these shows worth it!
Thanks!

Steve S
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next