Please help! About to go insane!!!

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Please help! About to go insane!!!

Post by sploval53 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:54 pm

The thing on the shroud goes to the old charcoal box on the inside of the fender
Block it off. It was for emissions crap
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1415
Registration date : 2008-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Will it hurt to leave it open?
Spook
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sploval53 on Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:27 am

It is just going to blow air out of the shroud that could be cooling the motor. I'd plug it with something
sploval53
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1415
Registration date : 2008-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:26 am

Temp gauge can be your fingers. Drive the thing around the block a few times. Shut it off and grab the dipstick. If you can hold it for three mississippises your ok.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Ugggh. My valves are loud as crap. Sounds like a paint can full of bolts shaking around. They were a bit louder the first time I changed the oil to 30W. After all this work I used 10w-30 conventional and its even louder than before. I adjusted and re adjusted my valves dead cold to .006. One thing I am not sure about is there is a little slack in the valves,meaning I can grab the lifter arm(?) and wiggle it back and forth just a hair. Do I pull this slack out before adjusting or adjust them as they sit? I dont like the idea of putting thicker oil in it as someone I know suggested. I dont think that is correcting the problem.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:21 pm

I've run 20-50 in my cars for 15 years and haven't had a an engine grenade on me yet (knock on wood). I use the idiot guide method to adjust my valves to .006. I loosen the screws and nuts, put the blade in, then tighten the screws with my finger till the blade has a fair amount of drag. At that point there should be no play in the rocker. Then I cinch the nuts down and check the clearance again. If you can slide the .008 feeler in there, your too lose. Mechanical valves always have a little tap to them when you first start a cold engine. Too loose is almost always better than too tight.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:29 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:I've run 20-50 in my cars for 15 years and haven't had a an engine grenade on me yet (knock on wood). I use the idiot guide method to adjust my valves to .006. I loosen the screws and nuts, put the blade in, then tighten the screws with my finger till the blade has a fair amount of drag. At that point there should be no play in the rocker. Then I cinch the nuts down and check the clearance again. If you can slide the .008 feeler in there, your too lose. Mechanical valves always have a little tap to them when you first start a cold engine. Too loose is almost always better than too tight.
Maybe I am too loose. My feeler gauge barely scrapes but does touch. The first time I adjusted them they were much tighter. I had to force the .006 gauge in and it dragged hard. I will go back and try to find a happy medium. On the bright side,its running so maybe I can come to the next meetup and get to know some of you.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:46 pm

Shouldn't require too much force. The.008 is the test. If you can fit it in after adjustment you're too loose.

Look forward to meeting ya.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 am

Readjusted my valves. One was loose and backed way out making a bunch of fuss. Tightened all of them up and everythings good. Drove the bug 30 miles last night. Ran decent but doesnt want to idle. Its still out of tune. I think the carb is crap and not sure how to adjust the choke.I have a rebuilt original 34-3pict. Gonna put it on and try to re-tune.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:47 am

Maybe I missed this, but what model distributor and carb are you currently running?

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:35 pm

fluxcap wrote:Maybe I missed this, but what model distributor and carb are you currently running?
As of now in the car is a 009 dizzy paired with a 34-3 Bocar carb. I have this dizzy http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C24%2D043%2D905%2D205%2DZB new in the box but held off installing it until I was sure I had no electrical problems. Plus I was unsure how to time the vacuum advance dizzy. I may try to put it in this weekend and re-time the engine. The Bocar has been trouble, a mechanic friend of mine tried to tune on it some but said he thought something was wrong with it. Not sure if he knew what he was doing or not. I noticed driving it to work when I gave it too much gas I could hear the RPMs go up but lost speed. I would say its my clutch but since I just replaced it I dont know. Thinking the belt might be slipping it feels a little loose.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top