Please help! About to go insane!!!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please help! About to go insane!!!

Post by Spook on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:29 pm

What the hell are these engine studs made of??? I have broken two 1/8 drill bits and burned up 3 more and haven't even got a pilot hole started yet. I need help. I have a EZ out extractor set but I cant use them if I cant even get a hole started. Its the bottom engine mount stud broken off in the case. I am getting close to ruining this thing due to the bits slipping off and grooving out all around the stud. This crap has gone on for a week and I dont have a truck to take the engine to a machine shop. Any suggestions???
Spook
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-06-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Please help! About to go insane!!!

Post by pwmcguire on Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:52 pm

They are probably a hardened steel, All I can say is to go at a slow rpm, lubricate the bit with oil. Start with an 1/8 inch bit and go bigger. Use a center punch to help keep your bit centered untill it starts. It is most important to go at a slow rpm. You do not want to build up heat in the bit. I hope this helps
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 786
Registration date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:12 pm

Yea. Slow down and use a punch on the center of the stud. Use the smallest bit you can to get it started. And the engine won't fall out with just the three bolts in it. (don't ask me how I know that) And it should fit in the trunk or back seat of any car. No need for a truck.

Take your time and curse it lovingly.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:46 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:Yea. Slow down and use a punch on the center of the stud. Use the smallest bit you can to get it started. And the engine won't fall out with just the three bolts in it. (don't ask me how I know that) And it should fit in the trunk or back seat of any car. No need for a truck.

Take your time and curse it lovingly.

You know what? I never even once thought to just roll with 3 bolts but that's probably about to happen. I have been running on my low speed on my drill but it does nothing so after awhile I start bearing down due to elevated blood pressure. Plus there is a little blob on top of the stud where I tried to weld a nut so I guess its more to do with that than the actual stud being hard metal. I made it this far getting the engine back together I am not about to ruin the case so the three bolts maybe the way to go for now.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Not telling you to do that permananty. Just till you can get it to a shop and done right. It'll be tough getting it in the car and lined up correctly to the trany without that lower stud. I almost wish I had not mentioned it now. Don't run it like that for long. And make sure you tell the next guy who may pull that engine the stud is missing. Don't want to be responsible for that engine falling on somebodies face.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 pm

And DON'T EVER try to weld near an air cooled case again. It will go up like a sparkler and you can't put it out.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:00 pm

I have someone coming over tomorrow to help but all of his stuff is fubat and rigged to no end so I am not feeling good about it. And I should have known about the magnesium case but wasnt thinking and I had just read this... http://www.airheadparts.com//vw-broken-stud-bolt-removal
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:43 pm

All is well...for now. Had to take my engine to 3 different machine shops before anyone would touch it. The owner of one shop used some kind of electric something and got the stud out without damaging the threads. I hope it didn't fry my coil. I will know by this weekend if I will be on the road again in the 74
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:58 pm

Smile
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:26 am

Good to hear!
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:11 am

I realize this is late, but it's still needed info for many. As a rule, the smaller the bit, the higher the rpm. Go check the speed range of your dremel. Mine goes to 25k. Tiny bits break easily, so you don't want to use any torque at all. Thus the high speed.
The weld made it really hard, kinda like heat treat. The hard stuff needs to be ground off before a drill will cut at all.

Hope this helps y'all in the future.
Clyde
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 278
Registration date : 2008-07-23

View user profile http://athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:38 pm

This thing will not go in. For the first two hours yesterday tried getting the engine to go all the way in on the shaft and it wouldn't go....only to find out later that I needed to remove the ring off the pressure plate(new) since the later models don't use this. Then the rest of the day still not getting it to go in.I don't have a clutch alignment tool but I aligned it the best I could by eye. So today three hours so far with my girlfriend turning the crankshaft pulley and me wiggling the engine all around and pushing forward and still its not going in. I wish I hadn't bought this car for a daily driver and just finished my 65 in my spare time. The motor went right in it with the body off the pan. So here three months later I am still bumming rides and fed up. I may just go buy something else and sell this car as is. I don't really have time to be a full time mechanic after my day job.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:53 pm

are the bottom bolts close to going in? is it hung up anywhere else?
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm

bottom bolts go in and it hangs on shaft good enough to hold the motor up....from there I go up down and all aroundback forward.....while turning the pulley with car in neutral. I have pics and will post in a min
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Random pics. You can see the difference in the old pressure plate and the new. I also bent some teeth on the new one. I bent them back but they are still a little off. I dont know whats going on. It goes in but lacks about 3/4 of an inch of being flush. I got this clutch kit from Cip1 and they didnt send me the clutch alignment tool but like I said I have tried to align it the best I can. You can also see in the pics all the grinding dust where my girlfriend was spinning the pulley and the flywheel was grinding the trans housing.

Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:20 pm

Spook wrote:Random pics. You can see the difference in the old pressure plate and the new. I also bent some teeth on the new one. I bent them back but they are still a little off. I dont know whats going on. It goes in but lacks about 3/4 of an inch of being flush. I got this clutch kit from Cip1 and they didnt send me the clutch alignment tool but like I said I have tried to align it the best I can. You can also see in the pics all the grinding dust where my girlfriend was spinning the pulley and the flywheel was grinding the trans housing.

your new clutch looks pretty buggered up- what diameter is that?

the old clutch bad or you just changing it to change it?
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm

The old pressure plate may be okay if I surface it some but the disc is completely gone. The new disc looks identical though so using the old pressure plate will be the next thing I try. I wanted new everything on my engine so hopefully I could rack up a lot of trouble free miles. This is my daily and the ONLY car I have at the moment so reliability is very important. I dont know the diameter of the plate but I will find out.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde on Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:51 am

Try sliding the clutch disc, by itself, on the trans input shaft. I had a disc come in a few years ago that had splines that didn't go all the way through. I filed them and all was well.
Clyde
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:36 pm

I did that it slides on. Its a little tight but it does go on. The new pressure plate is damaged from going in and out probably 20 times.
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ACC%2DC10%2D5149%2DKT This is the clutch I have the 1700lb Empi
I'm off tomorrow I think I am going car shopping.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Clyde on Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:38 pm

Clutch alignment tool $3
I can mail it for about $3 in a padded envelope 1st class.
Clyde
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:13 pm

Motor is in. And it cranks up and runs....and shuts off almost immediately unless I hold down the gas. If I do that it surges from running to choking out back and forth rhythmically. popping and backfiring. A more severe symptom of what it was doing before. I think its the coil,but,I still need to tune the carb and set the valves.
I am also wondering if I should hear a click when I switch on the ignition. Isn't that what the idle cutoff valve does???Should I hear anything?
I think the whole deal with getting the motor in WAS that I needed to use the clutch alignment tool. I appreciate the offer on selling me one Clyde but I went to see the one local vendor I have here and he sold me one. After that it slide on the trans shaft easy. I will NEVER try lining that junk up by eye again!
Friday I am back on this thing....getting close. I am very grateful for everyone's help....even helping when I whine like a baby. I need anger management therapy. bounce
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:52 pm

Glad you got it in. Could be the coil but id suspect the carb as well.
zabo
Dub God

Back to top Go down

Post by blupuick on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Yeah, what he ^^^ said. Get that carb in tune first.
blupuick
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2012-04-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:23 am

Spook wrote:I am also wondering if I should hear a click when I switch on the ignition. Isn't that what the idle cutoff valve does???Should I hear anything?
Yes, you should hear a click when you turn on the ignition.
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

View user profile http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Spook on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:26 am

peregrine67 wrote:
Spook wrote:I am also wondering if I should hear a click when I switch on the ignition. Isn't that what the idle cutoff valve does???Should I hear anything?
Yes, you should hear a click when you turn on the ignition.
Yep. No click coming from anywhere. Im going to put a new valve on and a new blue coil this coil I have looks pretty old and its black no markings so I dont even know what it is.
Spook
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top