66 Camper Bus "Bocephus"

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: 66 Camper Bus "Bocephus"

Post by type901 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Turning out very nice. That is some clean metal.

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:33 am

Thanks guys!
All that is left to really have it ready to drive is:
-Brakes bled and adjusted
-Seatbelts installed (safety first!)
-Install engine
-Install headlights/taillights/speedometer
-Install wiring (i finally got the wiring harness routed into the cabin, so just need to hook everything up.
-Refill tranny and RGB's with fluid and keep fingers crossed they are all in decent shape.

A couple more good work days should be enough to do it.

Of course that is just to get it driving. Once I get it back over to my house, I'll clean and paint around all the other window openings and get all the other windows installed. All the camper windows are ready to go in. I've spent a few nights here and there getting them ready. All new seals around the glass, new screens, and new crank handles. Also have new frame to body seals for when I install them.

Still got a good bit of metal work/rust repair to do on the doors/doglegs/nose, so I'm just gonna clean a section at a time and hit it with krylon for the time being. Once all the rust is addressed and I win the lottery, I'll get some real paint on it.

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:41 am

nice work eric
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:51 am

zabo wrote:nice work eric

Agreed!! Looking real nice!
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mfisher21 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:55 am

The work looks great!! You have motivated me to pull all the stuff I have stored ontop of my 65 bus off and start working on mine.
Mfisher21
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Well, intended to get the seat belts installed and bleed the brakes today, but the seat belts took a little longer than I had planned. Everybody in the samba thread I had been reading cut their access hole pretty low in the b-pillar (where it would be hidden by the jumpseat or sink cabinet). So that's what I did, but damn if I couldn't get the stupid nut plate to makes it way merrily up the b-pillar. Kept getting hung up on the captive nuts plate for the front door striker plate. Messed around with it for about an hour trying to fish it up, then just gave up and welded that access hole back up. Ended up cutting another hole much higher up, and everything went fine after that. No big deal really, just got to do a little extra finishing work so it'll look nice when repainted, versus being lazy and just throwing some paint on it and saying "the jump seat will cover that" Laughing. Drivers side took no time at all, once I knew what to do (and what not to do!)

Anyways, I got some sweet 3-point retractable belts now. I went with gray, cause eventually one day when the bus is painted green, I'll get some gray seat covers and kickpanels.

I'd recommend these belts. Got them from http://andoauto.com/AR5-1.htm . They are very similar to the ones I bought from Jbugs for my bug, but Ando lets you actually choose the length you need, so they retract nice and tight. The ones in the bug are too long, and fully retracted, there is still too much webbing hanging out.

Last edited by fluxcap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed link)

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by type901 on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:37 pm

Couldn't you just wear a sweet old school motor cycle helmet? Nice job safety first. Now bleed those breaks and come to Mcdonough in it.

type901
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-03-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:49 pm

Somewhere around here, I've got a pic of me in my old 67 with one of my old crash helmets. Used to wear that and a pair of oakley goggles just for kicks sometimes. Still hoping to get back over there and bleed the brakes this weekend.

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:10 pm

type901 wrote:Now bleed those breaks and come to Mcdonough in it.
Snuck over to work on the bus for about an hour tonight. Put it up on jackstands and adjusted the shoes all the way out, then went to town with my cheapo one man bleeder. Got a really nice pedal! Gonna get Kelly to go over with me tomorrow and do the old school two person bleed method to make sure I got all the air out. Hopefully when I get back over there tomorrow, the pedal will still be nice and firm.

Oh, and sorry Phillip, but looks like the second saturday for March is Reynolds weekend, so the bus won't be making the McDonough meet. You'll have to come down to Reynolds to see it! Very Happy

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shaky on Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:57 am

Looks like the two most important items are done, stopping the bus and stopping Kelly from going through the windshield. You planning on drivin it to Reynolds? Can't wait to see the bus.
shaky
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2009-09-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 on Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:58 am

Can we move our tent with your bus too?
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3223
Registration date : 2008-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 am

Yes Shaky, the plan is still on to drive it to Reynolds (assuming the trans checks out ok). And of course we can move some tents with it if need be Tim.

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:02 pm

Brake pedal was still firm this afternoon! Did the two person bleed method all the way around and got a couple more air bubbles out. Then adjusted the e-brake cables so they are nice and tight on 3rd or 4th click. The bus is now stopping! Next full work day I hope to get the electrical mostly all taken care off, but I got a lot to do. The main wiring loom is in place, but everything else (all switches, lights, fuse box, relays, wipers, etc... ) is still in boxes. Oh, and I need to get by and buy an Optima.

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Mon Mar 05, 2012 6:50 am

Me and Kelly have been VERY busy with the bus lately. Took a few trips to the DMV and a lot of jumping through hoops, but we finally got it registered and the new GA title should be here in a few days!

Got new tires put on Friday, and also noticed the passenger side front brake drum was soaking wet with brake fluid. Pulled the drum and at first thought I had a bad wheel cylinder, but actually think one of the fittings on the short metal line that runs between the cylinders was just a tad loose. Cleaned everything up and put the drum back on and it seems to be braking a little bit better now.

Spent some time sanding some surface rust off the the outer edges of the drip rails and under the drip rails and treating the bare metal with phosphoric acid. Then smoothed out the paint edges to get it ready for more krylon. Got the rear and sides painted with the cream color. Still need to smooth out a few spots on the front doors and nose, then those will be ready for paint. After that I'll work on the roof, but that'll be after Reynolds.

Once the paint on the sides had dried, me and Kelly installed the camper windows, rear window, rear hatch, and decklid.

Kelly cleaned up the inside getting rid of all the sanding/paint dust and we spent a good bit of yesterday afternoon taking it around town.

Installing windows

Passenger side before we got the rear hatch/decklid on.

Crappy cell phone pic of drivers side. Still need to install the rain guards over the camper windows.

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bakertim2 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:49 am

Nice job Eric. I'm still a bit jealous of you guys having a bus. Maybe one day, I'll own one again.
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3223
Registration date : 2008-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Grifspop on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:30 am

Unbelievable progress, Eric (and Kelly)- can't wait to see it at Reynolds
Grifspop
Dub God

Number of posts : 2323
Registration date : 2009-04-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DiggerD on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:29 pm

Very nice!!

Can't wait to check it out in person this weekend!! Cool
DiggerD
Appointed Forum Smartass

Number of posts : 2522
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peregrine67 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Coming along nicely.
peregrine67
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1343
Registration date : 2010-01-27

View user profile http://freephilosophicaldiscussions.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks guys! Just to be clear so no expectations are destroyed this weekend, it's still pretty rough looking Laughing . It's getting better though!......slowly

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Only expectation is that it makes the trip so I can see it.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tronview on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:30 pm

Looks great. Nice work Eric.
tronview
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-09-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mfisher21 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Looks really good Eric. I wish I could pound the work out like you do. It took 5 hours for me to get my stock tranny out of my bus and I still have one spring plate that is rust welded to (new term for stuck) to a torsion bar. I plan to cut the spring plate tonight because not even heat made it move an inch. Keep the motiviational pictures coming!
Mfisher21
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-09-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:02 pm

Hadn't posted any pics in this thread since I got the nose painted and the interior cleaned up a bit.

Here's the nose now that it's been cleaned up and painted. Still undecided on what color we'll be doing the bottom, so the emblem is just white primer for now. Sorry for the bad pic. Battery is out so I couldn't drive it into the sun to lose the shadow.

Finally got my wiring cleaned up, installed the old brown kick panels, and put the parcel tray in. Parcel tray has seen better days, so we just threw some gray carpet on it to hide all the dents/rust. Also need to paint the outer edge of the tray, but we got it installed about 10pm the night before we headed out for Reynolds, so there just wasn't any time to get it painted. Very Happy

Temporary gray carpet in the cargo area

Pulled the battery out of the bus and put it back in the bug. About to take the bug over to park it in my parents basement for a bit. Sad Need the extra room over here since I'm hoping to be pulling the engine and tranny getting ready for my straight axle conversion.

Last edited by fluxcap on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : horrible grammar)

1962 ragtop beetle
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by aircooledaddicts on Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:31 pm

Bus is looking good!!
aircooledaddicts