Electronic Speedometer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Electronic Speedometer

Post by EngineerTEN on Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Does anyone have any experience replacing an original speedo with an electronic speedo? If so, how did you get it to fit the stock opening?

Thanks,

Jason
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Electronic Speedometer

Post by EngineerTEN on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:59 pm

I couldn't find any useful info on The Samba. Guess no one on here knows either. Still thinkiing about doing it with an electronic speedometer kit from CB Performance. http://www.cbperformance.com/catalog.asp?ProductID=1205

Then also installing matching gauges in the steering column pod I got from Air Kewled.
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:19 pm

you will need to make a panel that will attach to the dash from the backside,out of metal,plastic or wood. cut a hole the diameter of your gauge(most come with a template)paint or cover the panel and attach it to the dash with the 2 studs the factory used or permanately with 2 part epoxy glued to the dash. you will need a speed sensor compatible with the gauge (pulses per minute) and wire the gauge per the instructions. more than likely you will need a setup that will attach to the axle shafts and will need to fab up a bracket to hold the reciever. it can be done, i have done it. i used cyberdyne gauges and a rostra sending unit.
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ASBug on Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:36 pm

I remember seeing that CIP1 had an adaptor that attached to a new shorter Speedo cable? that would then work the electric VDO guages.
I get CIP1 and GoWesty emails and it was on one of their pages...
Just check under new products....
KC
ASBug
Dub God

Number of posts : 2184
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks! CB Performance has the electronic sender adapter for the stock speedo cable as part of the kit or they sell it by itself for $78. The mounting is the most tricky. I was thinking about having an adapter machined to fit the current dash opening and that would accept an aftermarket gauge. I was thinking about maybe an aluminum plate that is polished.

How does the electronic Auto Meter or VDO gauges mount to a surface? I have not been able to find any photos of anything but the face.
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwtattooed on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 pm

both mount from the front,they slide into the hole and are held in place with a spreader bar from the backside. some of the VDO gauges use a plastic "nut" that threads onto the gauge housing,either way they both just sandwich your panel. i remember seeing the CB kit, just verify the pulse width matches the gauge you are looking at.
vwtattooed
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 798
Registration date : 2009-02-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top