AFRICAN 181

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AFRICAN 181

Post by renato on Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:06 pm

I bought a 181 in Lagos, Nigeria in 1973. It had originally been assembled in Mexico, then shipped back to Germany for 'secret' alterations, and was then entered into and won the Trans-Saharan Race as the entry sponsored by Volkswagen Nigeria. When I bought it, it was being used as the demo for potential buyers of 181's from Volkswagen Nigeria. I stayed in Nigeria for roughly 20 years, and must have driven the car several hundred thousand miles through jungle, typhoon, across rivers, etc. When I finally left Nigeria to return to the US, I left the car behind with friends, who were careful to take care of it (garaged indoors, etc.). I would drive it for the several weeks I returned for visits during the summers. Otherwise it was not driven. When the storage situation in Nigeria became difficult, I miraculously managed to get it exported and shipped to me here in the US. The car still runs, but obviously is in serious need of a very capable mechanic in the Atlanta area, where I am presently located (tho it will eventually end up in Florida). The car has been maintained by African roadside mechanics since 1973, and I need someone reliable and inexpensive to do a total assessment and repair. Any suggestions for such expertise in the Atlanta area? I would appreciate multiple suggestions, so I can pick and choose. Thanks! Giorgio

renato
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-08-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AFRICAN 181

Post by BKiller on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm

I think most people will recommend Stockornaut.
BKiller
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 687
Registration date : 2009-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Hobug on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:22 pm

Welcome Giorgio! I'm glad to see you on these forums. I'm the one who posted to your request on the Shoptalk Forums. Where in Atlanta do you live? Post some pictures of your Thing when you can.
Hobug
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1290
Registration date : 2008-07-22

View user profile http://www.athensvwclub.com

Back to top Go down

Post by zabo on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:35 pm

All around Restos
(404) 406-8772
zabo
Dub God

Number of posts : 2260
Registration date : 2008-08-04

View user profile http://www.trustzabo.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:18 pm

Would LOVE to see pictures of this one!! It's history sounds amazing!
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

View user profile http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by drewBAKER on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

def post up some pictures. and Baker Kustoms & Restorations would give you a quote. just send him a message under his section on the forum.
drewBAKER
Dub Crazy

Number of posts : 707
Registration date : 2009-02-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Treehive on Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:38 am

zabo wrote:All around Restos
(404) 406-8772

Man...everyone always pushes joey's shop, and he is a great guy and everything, but I was completely unsatisfied with the work that he did on my bus. When he replaced the rubber on my windshield, he told me he removed and treated the rust, but when I lift the rubber, there is clearly still rust there. The rubber he replaced on my doors does not seal well (the original rubber did a better job) He incorrectly diagnosed my oil leak, did over $900 (including labor) of work and was like...oh sorry, I couldn't fix the leak, but if you give me $3500 I know a guy who will rebuild it for you....I know another couple that had one of his type I rebuilds blow out in 3 months....I'm sure he is a great guy....just not impressed with his work on Type IV at least....just my two cents....
Treehive
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2008-07-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tarvw on Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:19 pm

Just call Stockornaut and get it done RIGHT the first time.Good prices and good work from someone who cares.
tarvw
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2009-01-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoSquirrel on Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:48 am

tarvw wrote:Just call Stockornaut and get it done RIGHT the first time.Good prices and good work from someone who cares.

x2

And let's see some pictures!
DiscoSquirrel
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 253
Registration date : 2008-09-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:58 pm

X3

Stockornaut is the way to go. great guys, and great service. if you are still skeptical, just stop by, and have him give ya the grand tour of the shop. they do really good work.
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2460
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top