Tie Rod Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Tie Rod Question

Post by EngineerTEN on Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Should the wrench notches in the tie rods be closer to the wheel or the steering box?

I am asking because I purchased a short set for my narrowed beam and the notches are on the steering box side. It makes it almost impossible to adjust the longer tie rod. See the image below.

EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tie Rod Question

Post by bumblebuggy on Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:26 pm

I' ve never seen one with notches...I just turn em by hand or use a pipe wrench/vise grips.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:42 pm

bumblebuggy wrote:I' ve never seen one with notches...I just turn em by hand or use a pipe wrench/vise grips.
X2, never seen em like that. If you reversed it, would the notch be in an easier place to get to? Should be easy enough to flip it, just measure it from end to end, take it apart and flip it, then put it back together to the length you measured.

I've always just done mine like Glen said, but I know you have done a ton of work on your pan, so you would probably like to not scratch up the tie rods with a pipe wrench (pipe wrench has always left knicks/scracthes on mine)

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Attorney Isaiah Loophole on Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:26 pm

fluxcap wrote:
bumblebuggy wrote:I' ve never seen one with notches...I just turn em by hand or use a pipe wrench/vise grips.
X2, never seen em like that. If you reversed it, would the notch be in an easier place to get to? Should be easy enough to flip it, just measure it from end to end, take it apart and flip it, then put it back together to the length you measured.

I've always just done mine like Glen said, but I know you have done a ton of work on your pan, so you would probably like to not scratch up the tie rods with a pipe wrench (pipe wrench has always left knicks/scracthes on mine)

You can't flip the long one. There are left and right hand threads and the long one has the absorber hole so it has to go the way he has it.

1966 Chevy C10 swb fleetside
1967 Black Friday Bus

Bryce
Attorney Isaiah Loophole
Dub General
Dub General

Number of posts : 4905

View user profile http://forum.georgiadubs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:11 pm

yeah, didn't think about the dampner piece. Maybe since you have just freshly put it together you can adjust it with you hands. If not, you need to find someone with a pet gorilla, they have really strong hands.

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don on Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:06 pm

Hmmm......a pet.....gorilla. Sounds like you've been out in the sun too long.....sunny Now, get outta my yard! affraid
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

View user profile http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bumblebuggy on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:14 pm

Shop rag around the pipe then vise grips to turn. As far a beauty goes, unless that's stainless, it's going to rust after about a week on the road anyway so I wouldn't wory about tool marks too much.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by EngineerTEN on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:19 pm

Thanks for the replies! The fabricator (Pete at AirKewld) said the marks were just to indicate the side that the left hand threads were on - not for a wrench. As far as adjusting it, I'll just wrap a few layers of electrical tape around it and use the channel locks when it needs adjusting. I hope that the powder coating will resist the rain longer than a week.
EngineerTEN
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 358
Registration date : 2008-07-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top