buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: alternater

Post by bumblebuggy on Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 am

I have the 55 in the bus. It works but I can see the headlights dim when I hit the brakes and I'm not running any kid of amp of fog lights. If all you're rinning is the amp, you'll probably be OK but if you plan on running anything else in the future (fog lights or other stuff) I would go one bigger.
bumblebuggy
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2008-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:46 am

I've been running a 1500watt system (1200 watt amp tied to 2 12's, and 300 watt amp tied to 2 6's), with a stock generator. But keep in mind, your 400 watt amp will hardly ever be using all 400 watts, as thats peak wattage. unless its tuned all the way up, it prolly won't hit 400 watts, only on the really high beats, but thats where the capacitor comes in. just listening to the radio normally, it will hardly even hit 200 watts.

like my set-up, its prolly only using 500-600 watts MAX. Unless i turn it up, and LEAVE it turned up for several hours, then it might drain the battery. But i've left the radio on (NOT loud) for over an hour, with the motor off, and its always cranked right up.
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2460
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:45 am

well votwing has those bright head lights and he says when he turns them on the speedo light dims

i wanna get a bigger system eventually

so maybe 75?
buggin70
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1956
Registration date : 2009-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:15 pm

don't even have a capacitor on my system, and my lights dont dim, not even on the high notes. but i do have a group 49 battery. its got 1000CCA. and 1100CA i believe. I have it mounted on the package tray, next to the speaker box.

I made the box, and mounted the 12's pointed up, and the amps mounted on the side (which would be under the back of the backseat). the box is shifted so its closer to the left side, and the battery fits perfectly on the right side. i have 2 guage battery cable running from the battery to the 1200watt amp. then i have 10 guage wire running from the power on the 1200watt amp, to the 300 watt amp. I want to get a capacitor, but i've been lazy, lol. i was running it with an alternator, but it took a crap, and ran it with a genny. and it ran good like that for several months. I'm back to an alternator now tho. i had the battery tested prior to reinstalling the new alternator, and it was perfect, so the genny was obviously enough. I'm thinking the huge battery might have something to do with it as well.

AMPS= watts/volts

so with 1500 watts of power, that equates to 125 amps. so at FULL power i'm drawing 125 amps, much more then the stock 30 amp, or 50 amp alternator. even at half power i'm still pullin 62.5 amps, still more then the alternator. so even if your radio is turned all the way up, at 400 watts, thats only 33 amps, but again, your system is almost never gonna pull that much, and with a capacitor, when it does hit the high notes, its gonna pull it from your capacitor instead, so at normal power, you prolly only gonna be pullin 15-20 amps at the most. meaning, a stock genny is fine, and an alternator even more so. unless you plan to add a LOT of electric stuff, or a LOT of lights, i wouldn't worry about it. Maybe get a bigger battery, or an optima.
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2460
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by buggin70 on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:16 pm

ill just go 55 then i just want the 55 100 bulbs for the front
and maybe fogs.

other then that im set on electrical
buggin70