My 1959 Euro Bug

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by Heinz57 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:13 pm

Update as of Sunday evening. Had way too many setbacks on Wilma in the last month and a half. I managed to get the Bug Pack header problem resolved. The on-line store gave me the choise of a full return of my money or a store credit. I pulled the trigger on a Vintage Speed system rated for up the 150 hp. This exhaust has 1 1/2" pipes and is made of 304 stainless steel. I also picked up 1 1/2" heater boxes to complete the package. I noticed that the engine is not level with the engine seal and is slightly higher at the back of the car? I do have 3 new OEM VW transmission mounts. I tried to install the muffler and the #2 exhaust pipe hits the "C" channel that holds the engine compartment seal? Further installation showed that the muffler was hitting the top of the exhaust cutouts in the rear apron? No way to install this muffler. I pulled the rear fenders off and replaced the body mount rubber in the rear wheel wells which gave me some more room, but not enough yet. I ended up trimming the lower lip seal of the "C" channel which gave me just enough room. The car that I got this rear clip off of was hit hard on the right and has twisted the apron so its low at the bottom and middle and high at the top. Also the rear quarters are slightly pushed down which is causing the side shelves that also hold the engine seal to be higher. Here are some photos of what I have been doing.

The Speed Vintage exhaust and I also picked up a Cobb County tag form 1959 for $15.00


You can see that the right side is almost touching the pipe


You can see how close the #2 tube is to the underside of the apron, due to accident damage


The new big tube heater box and the flange to the new exhaust


The Accident damage is providing this lovely deck lid gap
avatar
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 370
Age : 52
Location : Marietta
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by Heinz57 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:32 pm

Well, I wasn't happy with the exhaust clearance and was really bothered with  the engine sitting higher than the compartment seal. So I ended up pulling the engine and transmission back out. After looking at all the potential reasons why the engine was sitting at a higher angle and causing everything to hit. I took a angle measurement of the bellhousing and pan. The measurement was showing the pan was not 90 degrees to the bellhousing. It showed that the later model mount tilted the engine like a '61 and later model (2 degree). The compartment seals on the '61 and up is higher up. So I ended up cutting off the transmission nosecone mount plate from the torsion. I re-installed the transmission, remeasured and modified the mount to match the original 1959 one. Also installed a type 2 nosecone and hockey stick. This got everything back in line like it was once upon a time. The trans and engine is back in, exhaust fits perfect and have more room for the carbs now. I have a few more things to re-install and hopefully fire her up.

Pipes now centered in exhaust cutouts


Bus nosecone required a small love tap to clearance 2 bolts


Pipe clears


Pipe clears body





Last edited by Heinz57 on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added pictures)
avatar
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 370
Age : 52
Location : Marietta
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by Heinz57 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:40 pm

Quick update. I drove Wilma today and its night and day between the old 1600 and the new 1955 setup. If all goes well, I will drive her to dubs and donuts tomorrow. Still have some little things to deal with but she is driving again.
avatar
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 370
Age : 52
Location : Marietta
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by bakertim2 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Really hoping to see her there.
avatar
bakertim2
Dub God

Number of posts : 3223
Age : 52
Location : Dallas, Ga.
Registration date : 2008-10-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by pwmcguire on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:42 pm

I'M not going to make it tomorrow, Is Wilma primered gray. A friend of mine says he keeps seeing a gray primered beetle in Marrietta that sounds badass.
avatar
pwmcguire
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 786
Age : 49
Location : Kennesaw
Registration date : 2009-08-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by Heinz57 on Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:36 am

No, Wilma is still black and reddish orange like you last saw her. She has not been on the road in over a year.
avatar
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 370
Age : 52
Location : Marietta
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by Heinz57 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:45 pm

I haven't updated in quite a while. Wilma was sold Today as a "Roller" to a fellow VW guy, Deigo. I kept the her 1955cc engine for the Baja. He should have her running again in a week or so. He goes to alot of Caffeine and Octane shows, so she will still be around. I have to finish putting some parts back on the 2002 VR6 Cabrio Project so I can put that one up for sale next.
avatar
Heinz57
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 370
Age : 52
Location : Marietta
Registration date : 2008-08-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My 1959 Euro Bug

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum