'73 fuel gauge

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'73 fuel gauge

Post by 39coupe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:38 am

The '73 that I've been working on does not have any of the wires for the fuel gauge. I can't read electrical diagrams for sh*&. Anyone have any pics or instructions on how the wires hook up?

Thanks,
Eric
39coupe
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 455
Registration date : 2008-07-20

View user profile http://www.aircooledaddicts.org

Back to top Go down

Re: '73 fuel gauge

Post by vwgirl on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:34 am

I've done it a few times... it is imperative that you learn the spaghetti wiring diagram system as your whole car is wired this way. I couldn't tell you how to do it, I would have to get a wiring diagram myself and do it. The best wiring diagrams are the COLOR ones in the bentley manual. I emphasize color because Bentley got cheap in the 90's and started only printing them in black and white...

What kind of 73 is this? a beetle? if it is a standard then you are dealing with the easiest wiring for the fuel gauge that you can.

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by fluxcap on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:04 am

Haha, now this I know! I've been messing with those stupid electrical gauges all year.
The fuel gauge has two prongs on it. When standing at the front of your car looking into the trunk with the gauge installed into the speedo you will have a left (passenger side) prong and a right (driver side) prong. The left prong should have the virbrator box hooked to it. The vibrator box then has an open prong. That prong is for your (+) power in. The prong on the right side of the fuel gauge is for the wire that runs to the tank sending unit.

Here's a pic from the samba.

It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black.

1962 ragtop beetle
1966 camper bus - Bocephus
fluxcap
Dub Lieutenant General
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 3854

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks Eric, that pic will help a lot. Hopefully I can get this wired up tonight and see if it works. I hate not having a fuel gauge.
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am

I didn't know I had night lights in my car Razz

I didn't realize you were only asking where the wires go... I thought you needed to know which wires they were... the wire to the tank should be easy... but do you know which wire is power or are you going to just make one? Do you know if the gauge and the sender both work?

vwgirl
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:07 am

vwgirl wrote:I didn't know I had night lights in my car Razz

I didn't realize you were only asking where the wires go... I thought you needed to know which wires they were... the wire to the tank should be easy... but do you know which wire is power or are you going to just make one? Do you know if the gauge and the sender both work?

There are no wires for either at this time so I'll be making them up. And I have no idea if any of it works, this car is the '73 in the readers rides section that I have been building and was pretty much stripped down and in pieces when I got it.
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:27 pm

Fun stuff... I passed up on a really nice sunroof 74 once because it needed an entirely new wiring harness... I may be able to read a wiring diagram... but that certainly doesn't mean I enjoy doing it... honestly I have wired up plenty of gen/alt conversions, replacement speedos & switches, stereos, ignition systems with my own switches and wiring, etc... but I really couldn't even tell someone how to do it... it is strange how that works... good luck!

vwgirl
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 39coupe on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:32 pm

Success. I couldn't wait to get home so I went out on my lunch break and played with the fuel gauge. At first I got nothing when hooked up per the picture. Wiggled the wires a bit. Still nothing. It works exactly like the gauge in my '39 Chevy except I don't have the little vibrator thing in the '39. So I tried the same thing I did with my '39 and that is to connect the power side and then just ground the sending unit side. At first nothing happened, so I figured the gauge was broke. Wiggled the wires and vibrator thing around a bit again and then made sure everything was grounded good. The gauge went to full as it should with a full ground. Yes - progress. I connected the sending unit again and it is now working. I drove up to the gas station real quick to fill up and the gauge worked perfectly.

Thanks again Eric, I feel much better having some idea of the gas in the tank, I never trust the old gauges completely but at least it gives me an idea.
39coupe
Dub Nut

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl on Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:36 pm

lol... sometimes you have to "flick" the gauge... at least that is what I have to do on my fastback and on my mexi... kinda hurts my finger Embarassed

vwgirl
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:29 pm

vwgirl wrote:lol... sometimes you have to "flick" the gauge... at least that is what I have to do on my fastback and on my mexi... kinda hurts my finger Embarassed

I'm hoping you drive the fastback or mexi this saturday. There's not any fastback on the road around these parts, well at least that I no of. The last one I saw was Joey up at all around resto. He had a sweet red one two years ago.
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:34 pm

56HAVOC wrote:
vwgirl wrote:lol... sometimes you have to "flick" the gauge... at least that is what I have to do on my fastback and on my mexi... kinda hurts my finger Embarassed

I'm hoping you drive the fastback or mexi this saturday. There's not any fastback on the road around these parts, well at least that I no of. The last one I saw was Joey up at all around resto. He had a sweet red one two years ago.

I'll be driving the fasty... it's my daily driver... it's been around atlanta for at least 2 decades. I have met two of the previous owners so far... not including the one i bought it from. You can't miss that fasty b****. I drive it daily and rarely a day goes by I don't see another acvw... or that white vanagon that honks at me all the time...

vwgirl
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC on Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:13 pm

That's so funny vwgirl I've seen that fastback years ago like three or four. I no that car from up on Cobb some where.
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top