Door hinge bolts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Door hinge bolts

Post by jmbeaver on Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Any secrets how to get these lose ?
I put PB Blaster on them and a impact driver and they are not moving. I'm afraid too much force might bend metal.
jmbeaver
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-03-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Door hinge bolts

Post by ponycar25 on Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:49 pm

If you've only started with the pblaster today, try putting it on for the next couple of days give it some light taps to help the lube pentrate and let it sit, then give it a try. The other alternative is to heat it, but this burns the paint off and is definately a last ditch remedy unless your planning on painting it.
ponycar25
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl on Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:43 pm

ponycar25 wrote:If you've only started with the pblaster today, try putting it on for the next couple of days give it some light taps to help the lube pentrate and let it sit, then give it a try. The other alternative is to heat it, but this burns the paint off and is definately a last ditch remedy unless your planning on painting it.
i generally put pb blaster on the night before i try to take something apart if i can

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vw57drvr on Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Be careful with the impact screwdriver as sometimes they can cause problems. What has always worked for me is a very large philips screwdriver from sears that has a hex shape on the steel part next to the handle. You can put a boxed end wrench on it, and lean against the screwdriver with your body. Never had one not come loose that way.
vw57drvr
Complete Dub Addict

Number of posts : 897
Registration date : 2010-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by vwgirl on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:28 pm

vw57drvr wrote:Be careful with the impact screwdriver as sometimes they can cause problems. What has always worked for me is a very large philips screwdriver from sears that has a hex shape on the steel part next to the handle. You can put a boxed end wrench on it, and lean against the screwdriver with your body. Never had one not come loose that way.

A tool I have never had a need for, but should add to my list just in case!

vwgirl
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2009-07-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn on Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:27 am

In the past, when I have worked on some pretty bad bolts that were seized, I would do the penetrating lube, then a crappy but solid #3 screwdriver and a mallet to shock the metal. I use a #3 phillips bit for a 3/8 drive ratchet, but use a good quality one. Maybe not a Snap-On or such, but Craftsman Impact quality. It is usually harder to find one that fits in a ratchet, but well worth it for me. Basically same principle as 57driver's tool.
But if after numerous cycles that didn't work......
(This will sound REALLY odd, but it worked in many circumstances for me)....
....I then try to tighten it. By putting stress in the frozen joint from both directions it will most likely give you that satisfying "crack".
Don't use a breaker bar doing this, because of the chance of shearing the bolt...... as a result of that happening, I learned how to drill out and retap a bolt..... and that is definately not fun.

Another thing I have heard to do --but haven't tried personnaly-- is something a buddy of mine gave me a tip that he does with old GM cars. (Namely the problematic exhaust header bolts.)
He heats the area around the seized bolt/nut with a propane torch a bit. (of course after cleaning off any flamable residue from lubes) Then take a can of compressed air and shoot the exposed areas of the bolt/nut, then circles around it. After letting all of the metal get back to normal temperature, try with the ratchet again. My buddy says that he rarily has to do that more than twice.

ibjamn
Dub Nut

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2010-02-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:57 pm

This is your friend!
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Number of posts : 1278
Registration date : 2008-07-22

View user profile http://www.burelphotography.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jmbeaver on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for all the ideas guys!
The Spouse only lets me work on it on Saturdays - so, I'm still spraying PB Blaster on it. When she leaves the house I'll try to see if I can get them to move.

I'm going to start a blog or something on the whole process of my restore.
Day 1 - I pulled the fenders off, popped out all the glass, pulled the back seat out and carpet to check out luggage area, took everything off one door, and took hood off.

Day 2 I will have the whole thing taken off the chassis.

I'm really happy to find less rust than expected. I'll post a pic later tonight.
jmbeaver
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:15 pm

71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by jmbeaver on Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:28 pm

Are you suggesting I beat the Spouse like a pinata?
Very Happy
jmbeaver
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bugman114 on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:26 pm

ive used an impact screwdriver before (the one that you beat the end with a hammer, and it goes 1/4 turn). always seems to do the trick. tha if that doesn't work, then i do use a very large regular screwdriver, with some vose grips on the handle, and if that still doesn't work, i just take a grinder, and grind the head off the screw, pull the door out, and weld a nut onto the piece thats still sticking out. then a wrench, and its out. had to do that last method on two of the screws on my baja bug.

are they called screws or bolts? they have a screwdriver head, but seem more like bolts? for that matter, why is it called a gland nut. i mean, its obviously a big fat bolt??? scratch enough ranting Laughing
Bugman114
Dub God

Number of posts : 2461
Registration date : 2008-08-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC on Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:59 pm

jmbeaver wrote:Are you suggesting I beat the Spouse like a pinata?
Very Happy

that might not be a bad ideal. She only let's you do what you love one day a week. PIŅATA FEST have fun lol! lol!
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:02 pm

56HAVOC wrote:
jmbeaver wrote:Are you suggesting I beat the Spouse like a pinata?
Very Happy

that might not be a bad ideal. She only let's you do what you love one day a week. PIŅATA FEST have fun lol! lol!

Well....... maybe that's the point.
Maybe she lets him do other things that he loves more than one day a week, and it's an either/or kind of situation. Wink
Women can be manipulating in more ways than men...... Laughing

Hey jmbeaver, at least you were able to get a Vdub while with her...... and you are making a mess already with it. More power to ya.
If I was still with my kids' mother, all I would be able to negotiate to have that was VW related was some hard-drive space on the PC for pics. pale

ibjamn
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jmbeaver on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:17 pm

The truth is, we have an agreement right now.

I've been looking for full-time employment for a year now and things are tight. Well, things are always tight. But I found this 63 for $200! There was no way she was gonna talk me out of getting it. And my 15 year craving just turned to an all-consuming excitement and will easily distract me from everything else I need to be doing, like finding work to pay the bills. So, for right now, I need to keep focused and spend only Sat. on the bug.

All jokes aside, she's a blessing.

ibjamn - sorry that your kids' mother did not appreciate the unique coolness of the bug.
jmbeaver
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ibjamn on Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:30 pm

That's cool. She sounds like she has a grip on reality, and knows you well enough to keep you in line. Nothing wrong with that at all.

With my ex.... she knew that I wanted another bug since before we first met, and while we were together she knew what my plans were to do when I got one. But, she kept me in line with the priorities and future expenses to come. Old cars and investing time and money into them were a luxury when we had to worry about necessities. Some people just don't care about things if they are not interested in them.

Funny thing is you should have seen the look on her face when she overheard my youngest daughter talking about my "new old car" to my other daughter. It was awesome. It looked a lot like these all in one expression.... Suspect Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad

ibjamn
Dub Nut

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 56HAVOC on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:03 pm

She sounds like a keeper. Don't pay me any mind what do I know I still got to ask mind to leave the house on weekends lol! lol!
56HAVOC
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1703
Registration date : 2008-07-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Damn-it Don on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:06 am

Last year some time, during a financial crisis- my 'special someone' suggested I get rid of Ol' Yellar. I responded I'd rid myself of her before the car. Needless to say, I'm single now sunny and have some time and $$ to get the bug back in shape!
Damn-it Don
Out of Control Dubber

Number of posts : 1692
Registration date : 2008-07-25

View user profile http://airwerxart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by 71_georgia_beetle on Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:03 pm

Don Hall wrote:Last year some time, during a financial crisis- my 'special someone' suggested I get rid of Ol' Yellar. I responded I'd rid myself of her before the car. Needless to say, I'm single now sunny and have some time and $$ to get the bug back in shape!
Congratulations on the weight loss.
71_georgia_beetle
Dub Lieutenant General

Back to top Go down

Post by jmbeaver on Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:09 am

Man, I tried all yall's suggestions. Nothin worked. I even heated up the bolts and then hit it with FreezeOff spray and that did nothing. I'm close to stripping them out.

I'll leave them on for now - maybe someone can help me with them.
jmbeaver
Dub Noob

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ponycar25 on Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:29 am

To heat them right you need to get the screw red hot then hit it with an impact driver. The heat expands the metal and temporarily crushes the rust, but you have to do it quick because as soon as the bolt cools down just a little it seizes back up. It's best to not have any rubber seals on the door or door panels to prevent a fire. Worst comes to worst gently drill the wide part of the head off then get a drill bit slightly smaller than the shaft of the bolt and drill it out. It's best to take a center punch and start a pilot dimple to keep the drill bit centered to prevent damage. Once you have drilled in try using an easy out to remove what is left. Once out run a tap through to clean out the threads for future use and when you put it back together use an anti-seize compound, you never know if you may have to take that door back off and rust sets in pretty quickly on the old metal.
ponycar25
Dub Noob

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-06-15

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top